Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day the first


Arrived yesterday morning (1am for me, 7am for Paris.) Plane ride uneventful, except for the American chatterbox pouring her entire vacation plans, topped off by her entire life story, out to a poor French man. She asked him dozens of inane questions (like, “Notre Dame (she pronounced it like the school), is that worth a visit?”). You could hear every word of what she said (because she’s a loud American) and nothing of the French guy’s reply (because he is a typically discreet Frenchman).


Also to note: I was in the screaming babies section on the plane. I felt sorry for the parents…. although not nearly as sorry as I felt for myself.


On the metro ride into town, I worked on honing my Look. The Look says many things. It is sort of an eye roll, an impatient head toss, and a sneer all rolled into one. It says, “There are SO many more chic things I would rather be doing now than riding public transportation.”


I spent the afternoon at Ungaro visiting with some of my former colleagues, as well as two friends from Auburn who are currently interning there, Ross and Caroline.


Ungaro team members, L- R: Ross, Marilyne, Gérard, and Caroline


New Ungaro entrance with a sweet new chair


Gerard, hard at work at usual


Unfortunately not much has changed in the Ungaro product, despite cycling through several designers (including a disastrous stint with Lindsey Lohan). Not very inspiring or coherent. Here, see for yourself. (Actually, I think some of that is the old Lohan collection.) Also, in the few hours that I was there, ANOTHER poor woman walked in asking for "heels that are not too high," and of course, we have nothing. When are we going to cater to our clients instead of size negative zero, seven feet tall models?)


However, the alterations workshop is just as charming as it ever was


Idea board/ recent Ungaro pictures in the news


I traveled next a few neighborhoods over to Frederic’s new apartment. New= still in the stages of renovation (thus no pictures), but it is going to be awesome when they finish.


Yesterday evening we went to one of Fred and Charlene’s favorite spots, a restaurant called Da Rosa. (I guess I should consider this tame; my first jetlagged night in Paris a few years ago, Fred took me to be on a French TV show that was airing the next day). We spent several hours just hanging out.


Fred and Charlène


1 comment:

  1. How can you dis the lovely, coherent pink mummy wrap mini sheath featured on the Ungaro site? I can SO see all my friends wearing it back in the day when we would wear such (which was NEVER); I can see you did not get your fashion sense from me (that is, in fact a compliment)
    Yo, Mama

    ReplyDelete