Saturday, June 27, 2009

Runway show

Well, I would post pictures from today's events, but you see, the chord to hook up my camera to the computer is in my suitcase. And my suitcase, you see, is in Manchester. However: I will give a little outline and post pictures whenever I get my suitcase (it took about five days last time.) 

First, I saw Frederic today! Some of you might remember this same Frederic from his foray into Auburn last January. We met up briefly for foie gras and champagne at a cafe near his apartment and did some very fast catching up, plus he brought me a magical chord to recharge my phone and replace my broken one. It was so great to see him again!  

Then I ran away to Ungaro to see everyone again, and we left for the defile, pronounced day-fee-lay, not to be confused with its English cognate. This took place at the tres class Hotel Bristol. So I checked, and a regular room is 750 euros ($1042), and the presidential suite is 9,300 euros ($12,930). Yes, a night. 

I thought I would be watching it, but I was definitely helping instead! It was fun. First we did lots of scurrying to make sure that the racks had all the pieces of the outfits that corresponded to the pictures of the outfits of what each model was supposed to wear. After much discussion of socks and tights and hats and such, we started (about 45 minutes late.) I was dressing a model from China named Xin. The models are all about 6 1/2 feet tall with their shoes on. (I will post pictures of them when I can.) I felt very short even though I was wearing heels. Once the show started, it was madness: as soon as your model got back, you had to almost literally rip her clothes off and re-dress her in a matter of seconds. It took two to three people per model, because we would have to take off the heels (which have a tiny buckle,) take off the black tights, put on the pink tights, and re-buckle the shoes, plus zip up the super-tight zipper (newsflash! the models can't breathe in these tight dresses, either!!) There was much barking of orders and much yelling of, au secours! (help!)

Unfortunately I didn't get any tea at the High Fashion Tea, but it was fun nonetheless. 

5 comments:

  1. whoa! what an experience! yesterday sally asked if you'd be starting work on monday morning, and i laughed and said "no, i bet she started today!" totally kidding, but apparently very right. ooh ruth!

    ps. im hoping you learned from your previous experience and packed some clothes in your carry on, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruthie, You are such a great writer! I feel as though I am right there with you--- Comment excitant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cool! (and hilarious poster on your first post) Looking forward to the rest of your blogging :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to read this. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. im a fan of this blog already! wahooo adventures in paris:)

    ReplyDelete