Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Firefighters Ball

This post is for you, Marlena.

July 14th is the French independence day, commemorating the taking of the the Bastille fortress, where a whopping SEVEN prisoners were freed from the tyranny of the nobles. (I used to think that hundreds of them were freed, but I just learned that there were only seven. Seven people touched off the entire French Revolution, which resulted in the death of over a million people. But I digress.)

To celebrate this occasion, all the firefighters in the city throw parties. Yes, all of them. They are called "les bals de pompiers." I went to one in Montmartre, which is sort of near the Moulin Rouge, which is in the north.


In the courtyard behind the fire station.






A short video of a song during the party. You will recognize the song. I felt it was appropriate for the occasion.


As the night wore on, the firefighters came out and danced. Marlena, if you ever come to France, make sure that it's on the 13th of July.



This is the Pantheon, which is where I watched the fireworks at the Eiffel Tower on the 14th. The fireworks were pretty cool, but we were too far away for any pictures of the tower to have turned out.



I've been going to a church in a neighborhood by the Bastille (of the "taking" fame). After church, there is a potluck meal in this courtyard.

Even at a simple church potluck, we have several courses, bread, cheese, wine...

A view of one of my favorite bridges, Pont Alexandre III. Not bad, right? And as it is not 2:30 in the morning, I am going to bed. 'Night.

1 comment:

  1. The firefighter's ball? You are so crazy.

    ReplyDelete