Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Picnic and other news

.... Having not yet had a picnic on Ile de la Cite on this trip, I decided to have one. So I created a Facebook event and all the people that I have met here, or knew already. It was lots of fun, and there were more than 20 of us.


RA and Frederic. Don't let him fool you; he's not normally this tan; he just got back from vacation in Corsica.


This is the view of Ile de la Cite from the river. This is what we looked like to the tour boats passing by. We were at the very tip of the island, under the weeping willow.


This was our view.


Ross/ Michel/ Michael, and Laura Leeker, fellow Auburn alums. (Am I an alum even though I'm still there?)


Girls from the foyer: Ana, Fatia, Linda, me, and Aurore.


I just now got back from a party at a new friend's house (new because I met him last night at the picnic.) Cedric invited some people over to his place before he leaves for Portugal tomorrow to do work with a race car team for a few weeks.



Check it out, David Graham. Cedric let me take a picture of this picture that he had. So you see Cedric on the left, and I need not specify who's on the right. Go team 24.



Picture of random apartment... can you imagine living up there on the top floor that covers two stories?


OK, Dr. Barry's CTSE 7930 and 4430 students, this is for you. I am going to make a culture lesson on French signs, which reveal French values of "le mot juste," politeness, formality, correctness, etc. I found this particular sign on the inside of the stall in the bathroom in the foyer. Behold a translation for the English speakers (although of course I would not be translating to my class:)

"Thank you for concentrating on leaving this space clean after your passage. You have at your disposition the flusher and the toilet brush to use without moderation."

I know, right?

Here's another really good example:


In French, the appropriate way for Kenzo to inform people that they have moved is to say, "Your boutique has had a change of address. Starting on August 6 2008, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you at 51 avenue George V."

.... whereas in English, you simply say, "New store." This illustrates how Americans value what is efficient, more than what is beautifully put.


* * *

I have been meeting people from so many different places, so I decided, Elizabeth Mills style, to make a list. I have met French speakers from the following countries:

Tunisia
Bolivia
Madagascar (yes, Sally, it's true!)
l'Ile de la Reunion
Guadeloupe
Algeria
Wales
Spain
Iran
Argentina
Canada
England
Italy

2 comments:

  1. Loved all this! Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayes Brown said:

    Ruth Ann, you have inspired me also to create a list:

    1. Glad to see Fredric tanned and rested.
    2. You are an Auburn alum, as you are a graduate of its college. You are not yet an alum of your graduate school.
    3. Whats's Cedric doin' with Junior? Are they like, friends?
    4. ......................................sorry, I was imagining myself living on the top floor of the apartment building.
    5.The sign in the bathroom makes me question if it is UNIVERSALLY TRUE that a High Maintenance Woman Dont Want no Maintenance Man.

    ReplyDelete